Interesting Statistics on the Social Security Disability Program

The Annual Statistical Report on the Social Security Disability Insurance Program, 2016 was just released (October 2017).  The report found that:

In 2016, disability benefits were paid to almost 10.2 million people.

New awards to disabled workers (706,448) accounted for 88% of awards to all disabled beneficiaries (799,330) including children and spouses.

In December of 2016, payments to disabled beneficiaries totaled more than $11.3 billion.

Benefits were terminated for 820,372 disabled workers.

Supplemental Security Income payments were another source of income for about one out of six disabled beneficiaries.

Average age of disabled beneficiary was 54.

Men represented less than 52%. Women represented remaining 48%.

The largest category of diagnoses was diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue (32.3%).

Average monthly benefit received was $1,171.15.

To read the report, visit:   https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/statcomps/di_asr/2016/di_asr16.pdf